Monday, January 03, 2005

Discrimination is a word that has been bandied about so much by those with a certain agenda - minorities, homosexuals, feminists, etc. - that the true meaning of the word has become blurred. For those pushing a certain agenda (including conservatives), it is known that if the term "discrimination" is used, it will certainly draw attention.

But, there are a cases of discrimination being practiced that are largely ignored by the press and the public.

I came across this article published in the WorldNetDaily that highlights this problem. Let me say now, WorldNetDaily is a decidedly conservative and religious publication. In fact, the left and the "mainstream" press considers it a radical publication - but, that is for another post.

WND has an article in it's Jan. 3rd on-line issue concerning the "Gay Ski WeeK" Feb 26 - Mar 6, 2005. The article reports that Mr. Al Heirich, a Colorado ski towns promoter, posted on his web site - "Telluride Colorado" - has been targeted and attacked as being anti-homosexual and discriminating against homosexuals. The article implies that Mr. Heirich is being attacked, not for opposing the event, rather for letting families considering a Telluride vacation during this particular week know about the event. The article further implies that Mr. Heirich is being attacked for opposing the event and is "warning" anti-homosexuals not to come to Telluride.

Well, being that I become immediately suspicious of any article appearing on a pro-agenda website or in a publication (regardless of the "agenda" being promoted), I went to the site and read the actual "warning". Seems, in this instance, WorldNetDaily go it right!

My reading of the "warning" was that Mr. Heirich neither opposed nor approved the event - rather, again as I read it, he was simply advising potential visitors of the event so that they could make the decision, for themselves, as to whether or not they wanted to visit Telluride at that particular time. I know that if I had a family with small children and I was opposed to the homosexual lifestyle, I would not want to visit a place where, without my knowing, an event such as "Gay Ski Week" would be taking place. The point being here, whether you approve or disapprove of homosexuality, my right as a parent regarding what my children are exposed to should be left up to me and I should have a right to get the information that allows me to make my decisions.

So, now the homosexuals and the organizers of the event, along with the resort hosting the event, are accusing Mr. Heirich of "discrimination" against homosexuals. Now, in today's PC world, simply advising potential vacationer's of an upcoming event is considered "discrimination" and "hate".

Let's say that there was large Christian event - say a Billy Graham revival - scheduled for Telluride and Mr. Heirich posting a "warning" to those tourist who would be offended by shows of religion should consider changing their vacation plans. Would the left consider this "discrimination"?

I wonder.

An American


For further information:
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=42202
http://skimall.net/skitelluride/notice.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home